Stepping Up Curb Appeal | 10 Ideas
Getting the interior of your home in great shape is important when you are selling, but so is the outside. The curb appeal of your home can attract a buyer just driving by.
Here are some ideas to step up the beautification of your property. Of course you should have already taken care to make sure your roof, gutters and siding are in great shape. These ideas are suggestions to consider gaining a strong attraction to your property.
10 Items to consider stepping up your curb appeal:
- Anything in disrepair needs to be fixed. Take a good look around the outside of your home to make sure everything is in good shape, no rotten wood, peeling paint, dirty siding. Repair anything that needs attention, dirty siding can be power washed to spruce it up.
- Your front door is where you welcome friends, family and potential buyers. Replacing your front door is one of those improvements that you can recoup the majority of the cost (approximately 70%); therefore it is a worthwhile investment to consider improving your curb appeal.
- Do you have some great architectural details? If so play them up with color and/or plants. If not consider adding an arbor over your door and a climbing vine to add charm. Color can be an attraction. If your front door is in great shape maybe a new color might be just the thing you need. Paint it a color that coordinates with your roofing and siding. Add pots of colorful flowers to increase the curb appeal.
- Lighting can enhance a home. Consider lights that coordinate with the style of your home, and make sure the size of the lights are in proportion to the outside. You do not want the lights to appear dwarfed.
- Walkways leading to your entrance should be welcoming. Consider pavers, slate, or a material that complements the style of the home. Patios and decks depending on the material they are made of should be excellent shape. These areas are very popular and can increase the desirability of your property over another.
- Add a new mailbox or mail slot along with new numbers to your property. The little details stand out and are things to be considered when increasing the curb appeal of your home.
- Windows should sparkle and shine. Make sure they are crystal clean and all screens are repaired. When selling if you can remove the screens it gives the buyers a clear view to the outside.
- Foundation landscaping should be trimmed below and away from windows. These should complement the house and not overwhelm the house. Consider adding color with flowers to draw attention.
- Lawn care can increase the curb appeal of a property. Maintain your lawn with regular mowing, fertilize and water if needed. A thick, rich green lawn is an eye catcher. Keep debris cleaned up, and outdoor tools and toys neatly stowed.
- Trees, adding trees to your landscape not only makes the house appear warmer, they also can help with cooling and heating costs if they are placed appropriately. They can add interest and detail to a yard also.
Considering some of these items or all can increase the desirability of a property when selling. Attention to the details will increase the curb appeal and desirability of a property.